Monday, December 10, 2012

Zwieback


For years our family tradition is to eat Zwieback (Swedish dinner roll) at our family gatherings. Since my grandma needs help making the rolls (from scratch) we don't get these tasty treats as much as we use to. Unless myself or my cousin Kristi goes over to her place and spend the day making them. I was the chosen one for the Christmas Zwieback batch and I helped grandma gladly. Not only was it fun spending time with her but I also realized why women were so buff back in the day... stirring and kneading that dough is HARD work!


Favorite Grandma quotes of the day..."that made me feel like two cents waitin' on change" -- just an old saying she used, "oh Daddy use to say" -- when referring to my grandpa, and "don't tell anyone I put lactose free milk in the Zwieback this year" -- personal favorite, that is why they taste funny! 

Spend time with your grandparents, I was reminded that they are getting old and I wont get to enjoy their sayings, personality, and love for much longer. Cherish the zwieback baking moments and call the relatives that are far away. Be selfless for once. I am totally speaking to myself on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment